2021: Austin John's new album The Better Way Back When is released! Stream it HERE on Apple Music, or HERE on Spotify, Listen OR buy a download for pay-what-you-can in this website's MUSIC STORE where all of our albums are available.
I dedicate this album to my first guitar teacher and musical mentor George Wall who recently passed unexpectedly. Making him proud has been one of my main musical motivations for the better part of 30 years.
A big budget video for the 4th single and title track from our newly released album The Better Way Back When. I want to personally thank the entire cast and crew.. hair, makeup, costume department, choreographers; I couldn't have done it without you! XO
A Covid-19 social distancing inspired video for Indifference, the first single from our 2020 album The Better Way Back When.
The second single off my band Austin John's 2020 album The Better Way Back When is a tribute to two very special ladies in my life who indulge me in such wonderful adventures.
The third single from my band Austin John's 2020 album The Better Way Back When is a tribute to my father who passed away in 2018. When I was very young he could play a few open chords on guitar. His go to songs were Bad Bad Leroy Brown By Jim Groce and Lucille by Kenny Rogers. I still know the lyrics to these songs despite not having heard them for decades.
Tracks from the new 2020 album The Better Way Back When. featuring Todd Austin John Elsliger-songs/guit/vocs; Stu Harrison-keys; Connor Walsh-bass; Ben Ball-drums and some special help from David MacDougall-perc. and Danielle Knibbe-vocs. Mixed by David Hermiston
(all lyrics posted in LYRICS section):
1) KEEP LOOKING is a warning that worthwhile things are often complicated.
2) INDIFFERENCE The root of as much suffering as deliverance.
3) THE BETTER WAY BACK WHEN A man of a certain vintage starts to feel antiquated.
4) HONEYMOON About cold feet and big decisions.
5) SOMEBODY ELSE A solo acoustic performance about a mistake with lingering consequences.
6) PURPLE TRIBUTE SONG is an ode to my childhood idol.
7) DOES ANYONE CHANGE THEIR MIND ANYMORE gets political.
8) NEIL is a tribute to my late, great father's triumphs and shortcomings.
9) LISTEN A promise to get better at it.
Pics from 2019's rehearsals for The Better Way Back When, which
2) THE OLDER WE GET (THE LESS WE GO OUT TO DANCE) is self explanatory. The album's first single is sung by Montreal songstress Ainsley McNeaney. I helped produce her beautiful album Bones Are Forever. Scroll down this page for the lyric video.
3) THE PERFECT DRESS is given the full vocal twang by Darcy Windover, and Kevin Neal on pedal steel. My dog Sadie snuck a "ruff" in at the end of my acoustic guitar take.
4) HIGH WAISTED JEANS is a tribute to enduring love and my wife Natalie.
5) LATE AGAIN could only be sung by Justin Bacchus. He's funky, and also appropriately shares my reputation for lateness.
7) BOX OF LETTERS is the very first demo recording I made when I wrote this song in my bedroom. Me, a guitar, a shaker and a rainy day.
8) PLENTY OF FISH is sung by our talented and super cute bassist Connor Walsh.
9) Lilac wraps this album up with a tribute to springtime, long walks and love.
Austin John's Lilac band are:
Todd Elsliger: songs, guit, vocs, perc.
Stu Harrison: keys
Connor Walsh: bass
David MacDougall: drums
The album was mixed by David Hermiston