The third single from my band Austin John's 2020 album The Better Way Back When is a tribute to my father who passed away in 2018. When I was very young he could play a few open chords on guitar. His go to songs were Bad Bad Leroy Brown By Jim Groce and Lucille by Kenny Rogers. I still know the lyrics to these songs despite not having heard them for decades.
The second single off my band Austin John's soon to be released 2020 album The Better Way Back When. A tribute to two very special ladies in my life who indulge me in such wonderful adventures.
A Covid-19 social distancing inspired video for Indifference, the first single from our soon to be released 2020 album The Better Way Back When:
Aug, 2020: Austin John are putting the finishing touches on their new album The Better Way Back When. Please consider supporting this project by 1) Streaming the daylights out of our previous albums: 2006's EP; 2009's People, Places, Things, 2013's Please Everyone; and 2016's Lilac which are all available HERE on Apple Music, or HERE on Spotify, Google Play, Tidal etc. OR 2) Buy a download for pay-what-you-can in the MUSIC STORE section. OR 3) Donate to the new album HERE and be the first to receive a download when it is finished.
Tracks from the new 2020, (all lyrics already posted in lyric section):
1) KEEP LOOKING is a warning that worthwhile things are often complicated.
2) INDIFFERENCE The root of as much suffering as deliverance.
3) NO GRANDCHILDREN FOR YOU is an apology and an excuse.
4) PURPLE TRIBUTE SONG is an ode to my childhood idol.
5) HONEYMOON About cold feet and tough decisions.
6) SOMEBODY ELSE A solo acoustic performance about a mistake with lingering consequences.
7) THE BETTER WAY BACK WHEN A man of a certain vintage starts to feel antiquated.
8) NEIL is a tribute to my late, great father's triumphs and shortcomings.
9) DOES ANYONE CHANGE THEIR MIND ANYMORE gets political.
10) LISTEN A promise to get better at it.
Pics from 2019's rehearsals:
2) THE OLDER WE GET (THE LESS WE GO OUT TO DANCE) is self explanatory. The album's first single is sung by Montreal songstress Ainsley McNeaney. I helped produce her beautiful album Bones Are Forever. Scroll down this page for the lyric video.
3) THE PERFECT DRESS is given the full vocal twang by Darcy Windover, and Kevin Neal on pedal steel. My dog Sadie snuck a "ruff" in at the end of my acoustic guitar take.
4) HIGH WAISTED JEANS is a tribute to enduring love and my wife Natalie.
5) LATE AGAIN could only be sung by Justin Bacchus. He's funky, and also appropriately shares my reputation for lateness.
7) BOX OF LETTERS is the very first demo recording I made when I wrote this song in my bedroom. Me, a guitar, a shaker and a rainy day.
8) PLENTY OF FISH is sung by our talented and super cute bassist Connor Walsh.
9) Lilac wraps this album up with a tribute to springtime, long walks and love.
Austin John's Lilac band are:
Todd Elsliger: songs, guit, vocs, perc.
Stu Harrison: keys
Connor Walsh: bass
David MacDougall: drums
The album was mixed by David Hermiston