Oct. 2019: Austin John are half way finished a new album. Please consider supporting this project by 1) Streaming the daylights out of our previous albums: 2006's EP; 2009's People, Places, Things, 2013's Please Everyone; and 2016's Lilac which are all available on Apple Music, Spotify, Google Play, Tidal etc. OR 2) Buy a download for pay-what-you-can in the MUSIC STORE section. OR 3) Donate to the new album HERE and be the first to receive a download when it is finished.
Tracks from the new 2019-2020 album in progress:
1) HONEYMOON About a couple at a crossroads.
2) THE BETTER WAY BACK WHEN A man of a certain vintage starts to feel out of touch with the new trends.
3) LISTEN A promise to get better at it.
4) KEEP LOOKING is a warning that worthwhile things are often complicated.
5) DOES ANYONE CHANGE THEIR MIND ANYMORE gets political.
6) PURPLE TRIBUTE SONG is an ode to my childhood idol.
7) INDIFFERENCE The root of as much suffering as deliverance.
8) SOMEBODY ELSE A solo acoustic performance about a mistake with lingering consequences.
9) NEIL is a tribute to my late, great father's triumphs and shortcomings.
10) NO GRANDCHILDREN FOR YOU is an apology and an excuse.
Pics from 2019's rehearsals:
2) THE OLDER WE GET (THE LESS WE GO OUT TO DANCE) is self explanatory. The album's first single is sung by Montreal songstress Ainsley McNeaney. I helped produce her beautiful album Bones Are Forever. Scroll down this page for the lyric video.
3) THE PERFECT DRESS is given the full vocal twang by Darcy Windover, and Kevin Neal on pedal steel. My dog Sadie snuck a "ruff" in at the end of my acoustic guitar take.
4) HIGH WAISTED JEANS is a tribute to enduring love and my wife Natalie.
5) LATE AGAIN could only be sung by Justin Bacchus. He's funky, and also appropriately shares my reputation for lateness.
7) BOX OF LETTERS is the very first demo recording I made when I wrote this song in my bedroom. Me, a guitar, a shaker and a rainy day.
8) PLENTY OF FISH is sung by our talented and super cute bassist Connor Walsh.
9) Lilac wraps this album up with a tribute to springtime, long walks and love.
Austin John's Lilac band are:
Todd Elsliger: songs, guit, vocs, perc.
Stu Harrison: keys
Connor Walsh: bass
David MacDougall: drums
The album was mixed by David Hermiston